Black-Cell.net

• November 13, 2018, 03:11:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Forces team switching is a bad idea  (Read 3715 times)

vloktboky

• View Profile
Forces team switching is a bad idea
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:09:57 PM »

So here I am, minding my own business playing as Nod on City Flying. I am in my apache, just chillin' with the rest of the crew, when all of a sudden, I find myself force switched onto GDI.

And my Apache falls to the ground, prey to any who come by.

What kind of moronic nonsense is that? The ultimate neglect. If you force someone over, take care of their vehicle. Either sell it back to them, refund their purchase completely, or just simply destroy it. Having the enemy get someone's vehicle because they were force switched is just plain ridiculous.

HeroKerr

• Renegade Server Half-Moderator
    • View Profile
Forces team switching is a bad idea
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:38:01 PM »

Being forced is just plain ridiculous.
Not all is lost the spirits shriek
You will be hunted WE SHALL SEEK
Perserverance, turn the page
Enter Shikari Enter Shikari

♫Enter Shikari - Enter Shikari♫

Vultima

• BBQ!!?!?!!
    • View Profile
Re: Forces team switching is a bad idea
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:05:24 PM »

It was fun watching vloks apachie float to the ground :D

vloktboky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »

This was a split topic, so the title is not my own thoughts. I was not commenting on the process overall; I was complaining about the lack of care put in to dealing with the consequences of the force switch.

However, if you wish to discuss the concept as a whole, I believe there are far better solutions that uprooting a player from the game to satisfy the populous. Instead, giving a slighter advantage to the team with the lesser player count could help to even things out more while still keeping players where they want to be. An example is credits received. The team with the lesser players gets an additional amount of credits over time based on the difference in player count. Playing with the numbers, 1 additional credit every 5 seconds per player difference. In a 9-8 game, the team wouldn't get that much more to be noticeable. But on a 9-5 game, the team would be seeing almost a credit extra a second, helping them to keep those players in higher-class characters and vehicles more abundantly, giving them a better advantage to handle the larger enemy.

mav173

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »

or, building in a !teams command where anyone with less than 200 points could voluntarially !rtc

deathdish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:39:48 AM »

Not less than 200 points.. just make it anyone who wants to can go, since if the game has started it only works with a force, and the force usually leads to something bad (e.g. I was harv walking... why does it always happen in city flying? :P)

vloktboky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 01:41:08 AM »

To the best of my knowledge, no game has ever forced a player to abolish all progress they have made during the game's progression to start afresh. And there is a good reason for that.

The more I think about the concept of forcing a player out of their own free will and destroying their progress, the more repulsive it sounds.

What if that player was driving an APC full of teammates to attack the enemy? How long will it take all those other players to realize their driver is no longer there? Would the vehicle be destroyed by some fix for another situation, leaving all those players stranded and jeopardizing the enjoyment of that entire team, giving the other team a major advantage? The player who was forced over now knows of the plans. What's to stop him from informing the new team? Or would he betray the team of which he still feels apart?

What if I bought a character class? A vehicle? A beacon? Do I lose all the money I put in to that, only to be forced to start over as a basic minigunner?

What if the other team had no refinery and by using my old team's refinery I was able to accumulate a large fund. Now being on the other team, I am free to give all that money back to the other team, giving them a huge advantage they otherwise would not have? Or do I lose all that money, hurting me in the long run because now all my hard work is completely fore naught?

There are just too many unfair conditions to justify such an action. You need a better solution.

N00BIN8R

• The N00BIN8R
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathanlowry.com
Re: Forced team switching is a bad idea
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »

This was a split topic, so the title is not my own thoughts.

Sorry... My doing... This was originally posted in "Bugs" and I felt it deserved its own topic (as it is clearly not a bug).  Feel free to change the title.

dippy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 02:18:16 AM »

Edit - found the changelog:

Quote from: Whitedragon
2.0 - 10/30/05 @ BC5:

Changes:
-!Teams command will no longer switch players that have a beacon, are a spy, have more then 1000 credits, or are a spectator.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:20:59 AM by dippy »

vloktboky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 03:07:21 AM »

That change doesn't fix a damn thing. 1000 credits is a piss-poor comparison tool. So if I just so happen to have spent that money on a hero character, now not only am I susceptible to being forced over, but I also will inevitably lose that money because of the loss of my character? And if my team lost the refinery and the entire team is broke, suddenly everyone has the risk of being switched over, even if they have been playing at that team for well over half the game and have been productive the entire time, perhaps even controlling one of the last remaining special characters/vehicles that team has?

deathdish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 03:32:24 AM »

Also with vlokt's APC thing

What if that player was driving an APC full of teammates to attack the enemy? How long will it take all those other players to realize their driver is no longer there? Would the vehicle be destroyed by some fix for another situation, leaving all those players stranded and jeopardizing the enjoyment of that entire team, giving the other team a major advantage? The player who was forced over now knows of the plans. What's to stop him from informing the new team? Or would he betray the team of which he still feels apart?

Especially true if it was right at the beginning of the game (rush, i.e. duh less than 1000 creds)

dippy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 12:37:51 AM »

I thought I also read somewhere that it wouldn't switch the driver of a vehicle, or hero class characters. Could be wrong though.

deathdish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 06:08:01 AM »

Can't it just be switch if you want to :S and allow people with points to switch

y0urd00md

• G@MR4L!F
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joinnxc.150m.com
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 01:45:03 PM »

ok i agree

the things you guys are looking at affects eveyone. if you are going to force someone then force those who are the last ones to join the server since they were the least help in destroying the base.

forcing someone just becuz ppl leave when they are losing and coming back when the new map starts is stupid instead give that person a time out so he wont be able to come back just becuz he lost instead of punishing the ppl who are playing. come on use your head for once this is the worst things you guys have done. so far all those changes that you have made are loved by all but this one takes the cake as the wrost script bc has done.

now i dont want to be sounding like you guys are crap heck you guys are the best out there. make ctf and other helpfull scripts which are know  server wide.

all i am saying is that this one sucks soo please remove it

YOU ARE SOFA KING RETARDED

H3llian07

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »

Can't it just be switch if you want to :S and allow people with points to switch
That was my idea. Let anyone switch, but force noone. It's unfortunate for the team with less players, but crap happens. People shouldn't be forced over, but at the same time, anyone should be able to should they choose to if the teams become unbalanced.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up