Black-Cell.net

• August 08, 2022, 11:53:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: new planet  (Read 4096 times)

dippy

• Renegade Server Half-Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: new planet
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »

Vultima

• BBQ!!?!?!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 11:36:23 PM »

"The planet orbits the faint star Gliese 581, which is 20.5 light-years away in the constellation Libra. " its not 100 light years away but that is still a lot

And still impossible to reach in a life time via the transportation we have.

What about a scooter with 5millions rockets up his ass :)

Herman169

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 04:17:48 AM »

idk if you can say it's completely impossible to make it there in a 100 years, look how fast technology is increaseing and it only increases faster. 

gb987

• Renegade Server VIP
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 09:33:31 AM »

stop copying the same bloody joke, the starbucks one was a little bit funny, but just saying the same thing with mcdonalds and burger king is silly

- anyway sounds interesting, wish they had discovered this a while ago as i'd like to be able to think its possible to land there during my life time but im not sure that will happen, but its a huge step in the right direction in terms of potentially finding other life forms.

mes262

• Donator
  • Sic vis pacem, para bellum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 03:45:52 PM »

idk if you can say it's completely impossible to make it there in a 100 years, look how fast technology is increaseing and it only increases faster. 
Ok, let me rephrase.

And still impossible to reach in a life time via the current transportation we have.

Herman169

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 03:19:32 AM »

Ok, let me rephrase.

And still impossible to reach in a life time via the current transportation we have.

indeed indeed..... i also like hwo they can find all the info they know about it now, i didn't go through any articles that anyone posted but how do they do it, highly powerfull microscopes?

I<3WD

• I SALUTE YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »

pretty much and it would be telescopes >_>

vloktboky

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 08:47:40 PM »

They may have used the wobble effect.  That's where they look for a star's wobble by detecting variations in the light spectrum - the Doppler effect.  Gravity works in both ways and large bodies orbiting a star pull at the star as well, causing it to have a predictable "revolution" as well.  How big that wobble is (the extremes on the spectrum) directly correspond to how much mass is orbiting it.  Math does the rest.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up